The following walkthrough for a cmd line installation may be useful to you if you are having issues with the UI button "Install CloudReady".
The instructions were (mostly) written up by Jaymes Driver. Thanks Jaymes!
- After creating your Installer stick, boot from USB
- When the first screen comes up and asks you to select your network, you can choose:
- OPTION 1) (recommended) Connect to network and log in as a gmail user. Once logged in, you can press "Ctrl+Alt+T" to see a cmd line in the GUI.
- Your first cmd entered should be "shell" to change from yellow (crosh) prompt to green (bash) prompt.
- OPTION 2) Ignore the network connection and press "Ctrl+Alt+F2" or on some machines, "Ctrl+Alt+Fn+F2".
- You'll need to log in - use the username: "chronos" and the password: "chrome"
- Now you will find yourself at a command line that accepts normal bash commands - no matter which option you chose above the prompt should look similar to this:
- Now that you're at a shell prompt, first determine your install destination by running
sudo fdisk -l
- This will print out info about every storage device and show their partitions - devices are in the form
/dev/sd[letter] and their partitions have the format /
- You can look at the different whole-device storage sizes (approximated in GB at the top of each section) to determine out which device is your intended install destination (usually
/dev/sdawill be your primary internal drive)
- To install, type the following commands:
sudo chromeos-install --dst /dev/sdX
- NOTE: If the above cmd fails, try
sudo chromeos-install --skip_src_removable --dst /dev/sdX
- Replace "
X" above with the letter you identified as being your drive
- NOTE: Dualboot installs need to be done via the GUI - using this cmd line approach will not work properly
- Whenever prompted, use password mentioned above : "chrome"
- You will be asked to confirm the source and destination - don't proceed unless you are sure you want to wipe the target device (or unconcerned with the prospect of all data being wiped on your machine)
- When sure, type "Y" and press enter.
- Now you wait. You may see some errors or warnings - don't worry unless you the process stops with a large Error dump or you see
- The process will take 5-20 minutes depending on the speed of the USB and internal drive.
- When the message "Please shutdown, remove the USB device, cross your fingers, and reboot." appears,
- Run cmd "
- Once the machine is totally shut down, remove your USB stick, and start up again.
- Marvel in your awesome, you are now installed!