With the update to v45.1.20 of CloudReady came a long requested feature which we're excited to give to you all:
(and other protected content)
This won't work automatically. Instead, there are a few steps necessary before you're ready to binge-watch Scrubs on your CloudReady device. They're simple and fast, and detailed below.
First install Widevine and enable Proprietary Media Components (will make Hulu, Amazon Prime video work):
- Update or freshly install CloudReady (instructions here)
- Log in
- Go into your "Settings" menu and find the "Widevine" and "Proprietary Media Components"
- Click "Install" for both and wait for it to confirm a successful install
- If it fails, reboot and try again - make sure you're connected to network.
- When complete the button will change to "Check for Updates"
- Reboot your CloudReady machine (notifications will prompt you to do this)
- Log in again
The above steps will get Amazon Prime and Hulu playback working for you, among others.
To get Netflix Working too:
- Install this extension
- Once the extension is installed, you should see the icon in the top-right corner of you browser
- Right click the browser icon and choose "Options"
- You'll open a menu where you can add a custom user-agent that will look like:
- Fill in the blanks to create a new User-Agent option with the following info:
- Name: "CloudReady Widevine"
- String: "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/52.0.2709.0 Safari/537.36"
- Group: "Chrome" (should be filled automatically)
- Append: "Replace"
- Indicator Flag: "IE"
- When all that is filled in, click "Add"
- As mentioned in comments, you can add netflix.com as a permanent-spoof domain
Once you've done all that, when visiting a Widevine protected page, you can left-click the user-agent extension and select "Chrome:CloudReady Widevine" to enable playback.
NOTE: While we are optimistic that protected content all over the web will work this way, we are unable to test every service available. Netflix works, and we welcome your comments on any other services which you can confirm working!
We're really excited to help CloudReady become an increasingly robust OS option for everyone - for many, we hope this final piece will make it a true daily-driver OS.