We're excited to have something for you to try. We've been hard at work on a dualboot feature for CloudReady, and we want you to try this alpha-release of it.
THIS WILL ONLY WORK IN UEFI MODE, WITH a UEFI WINDOWS INSTALL.
I know that is very limiting for older machines, or those of you who want to dual boot Linux, but all things start small.
Please note that many machines which have a Legacy BIOS install of Windows have the capacity to run UEFI Windows in the BIOS, so if you're willing to reinstall Windows as UEFI, you can then install CloudReady alongside it.
You can check if your Windows install is UEFI by reading the directions here.
UEFI is not the ONLY requirement!
In addition, because this is a pre-release build, we want to warn you about a variety of other issues, features, and forward looking questions:
- CloudReady dual boot will allow up to 15 pre-existing Windows (or Windows related) partitions, and install CloudReady in partitions 16-27.
- CloudReady will fail to install dual boot if your machine isn't in proper adherence to the requirements listed on the link above. Only in some cases will you receive clear feedback on what is wrong or missing. Refer to the link above and check everything if you have a problem.
- CloudReady may fail to install dual boot for many other reasons, few of which will be immediately clear - please send us a picture of the errors you see.
- CloudReady will add an additional EFI boot option on every boot (minor bug we're ironing out right now). You can ignore those for now, but should be aware that over a long period of time this may be unhealthy.
- This mean you cannot leave this version of CloudReady installed permanently. The machine will update itself automatically when our stable version comes out, but you may STILL need to reinstall CloudReady completely at some point
- Your Windows install and files MAY NOT BE SAFE. We designed this install to respect and protect your existing OS and files, but this is a pre-release test build, so no guarantees are made. It has only been tested in house by our team.
- The following models are known not to work for DualBoot EVEN IF all other requirements are met:
- HP EliteBook 8560p Notebook PC
HP ProBook 6560b Notebook PC
HP ProBook 6360b Notebook PC
HP EliteBook 8460w Mobile Workstation
HP EliteBook 8460p Notebook PC
HP ProBook 6460b Notebook PC
For those of you brave enough to give this a shot - THANKS! Below are the links for the image (make your installer the same way as before) and checksums.
[old beta image link redacted ;-) ]
(Checksums at neverware.com/free)
Please report anything and everything you experience with this release in the new Community Dual Boot Section, but be aware that we will not be releasing any fixes or patches or providing any direct support for this version.
We hope you enjoy!!!