Before You Begin
Working from Windows?
If you’re making your USB installer on a Windows 7,8, or 10 computer, we recommend using the CloudReady USB Maker. It automates and simplifies this step of the process.
Before starting the manual USB creation process, you must download the .zip file that contains CloudReady. Start by downloading the CloudReady .zip file to your standard downloads folder, not a USB device.
- If you are a current CloudReady customer, or have already signed up for a trial, download the .zip file from my.neverware.com on the Downloads tab.
- You can start a 3 week trial of the Education or Enterprise Editions of CloudReady, totally free, by signing up at try.neverware.com. After signing up, you'll be able to download the .zip file from my.neverware.com.
- If you are an individual user and don't need support or management, download the .zip file for our free Home Edition here.
This guide assumes that you have downloaded your image and that it is in your Downloads folder.
Unzip The CloudReady File
- Navigate to your Downloads folder in Windows Explorer. Double click the CloudReady .zip file that you downloaded, and extract the .bin file that is inside.
Install and Launch the Chromebook Recovery Utility
To create your CloudReady USB installer, you need to add the Chromebook Recovery Utility to your browser.
1. Locate and click the blue "Add to Chrome" button at the top right corner of the page.
2. The Chromebook Recovery Utility will be installed in your browser, and will show up on the Apps Page.
Create The USB Installer
- Launch the app and click on the blue Get Started button.
- Locate the gray gear icon on the top right of the window.
3. Click the gray gear icon and choose Use local image.
- Locate the CloudReady .bin file and follow the instructions on the screen. When prompted, insert your 8GB or 16GB USB flash drive (Within 8GB - 16GB, not more or less). During the process, it is normal for the utility to show unusual percentages.
- When the process is completed, remove the USB flash drive from your computer. Your USB flash drive is now a CloudReady installer, and is ready to use!