This was my experience trying to install CloudReady in Dual-Boot on my Notebook Samsung RV420* with Windows 10. My first try was unsuccessful because my Windows partition was not in GPT format, so this were my steps to get the achievement "The Chromebook experience you love":
1. Make a backup of all important data, because your hard disk will be completely erased.
2. Activate any option in your Bios related to UEFI like:
UEFI Boot Support → Enabled
Note: The BIOS version of my notebook dates January 2012. And the support for UEFI is very basic, but enough to allow CloudReady to install in Dual-Boot. There are others options in newest BIOS related to UEFI, this will depend on your manufacturer's brand. The UEFI support is mandatory.
3. Download the latest version of Windows 10 in ISO format from the official Microsoft site: Link
4. Download and use the free utility Rufus to create a Windows 10 USB installation media with UEFI support. You can found an easy explanation of how to do that in this article: Link
The most important step is select "GPT partition scheme for UEFI" in the partition scheme and target system type.
5. Make a clean install of Windows 10 from the USB drive created in step four. You have to eliminate ALL previous partitions when the installer ask for a place to install, leaving all your hard disk space free. Then, create a new partition with the total of your free space, less 100GB (or at least 32GB) for later use in CloudReady. The Windows installation process will be automatically create more than one partition for met the UEFI format requirements.
6. Configure Windows 10 to not use the feature “Fast Startup” and restart the system. You can check this article to complete the task: Link
7. Follow the official guide to install CloudReady in Dual-boot. The installation will automatically use the free space choosed in step five: Link
8. Enjoy Windows 10 for gaming and CloudReady for work and everyday use.
I’m very happy with my first experience on Chrome OS. Thanks you very much Neverware for give me this opportunity and revive my Notebook with a new charm!
P.S: Sorry for my bad English.
Model: RV420 (NP-RV420-AA2AR)
Bios Version: 2012.01.10
Microprocessor: i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz
Graphic Chipset: Intel HD Graphics 3000
Memory: 8GB DDR3
Hard Disk: Samsung 500GB 5400Rpm
Screen: LED 14’’ / 1366x768 Resolution
Networking: LAN / Wi-Fi
Adapters: Bluetooth / SD Card Reader
Optical Drive: DVD±RW
Please sign in to leave a comment.